The beginner navigation course will focus on map reading and how to use a compass. This is a one and a half day course to give you enough information to understand how to navigate with a topographic map and compass. The first day (evening), we will focus on map reading skills and will be in the classroom. The second day will be a mix of classroom (morning) and being outdoors (afternoon).
The key objectives of the course include:
• Map Reading (legend, scale, grid reference, map symbols, map interpretation)
• How to plan out a route
• Identifying map features in the field
• How to take a compass bearing
• Orientating yourself on the map
• Key navigational techniques to help you in the backcountry
Partner this course with the Tech Navigation Course, occurring the following day, and take your knowledge to the next level by learning to use modern day technology to navigate in the back country.
This course is conducted by and booked by Uplift Adventures and is hosted at Castle Mountain Resort. It occurs over two days with a Friday evening (6:30 PM to 9 PM) in-class session and a full-day outside on Saturday (8 AM to 4 PM).